Monday 23 April 2012

Research

Sorry for late updates, things have been a bit mad lately!
I've been struggling to get a good beginning on the project so far, when I'm trying to produce images it just feels as if I've got massive mind block!  In order to get some more inspiration for possible ideas I've been doing some research into designers that I find relevant to my theme.


In a crit at college it was suggested that I try re-working photos, perhaps with vulgar slogans or suggestive phrases, so that seemingly innocent photos now have a sense of dark humour to them! I had a look around and found Barbara Kruger, her images fit perfectly to the idea of misjudged context, the brash type changes the whole context of the photo!


Barbara Kruger:



I like how her work is quite challenging to mainstream ideals, it makes you double take as you expect the photo to be quite positive at first, but the phrases really add a darker meaning to the images.



I tried something similar with a photograph that I'd taken of a girl laughing hysterically, then with red vinyl tape I outlined her figure and wrote the word "UNHAPPY" across the image (I would have uploaded a photo but my scanner's broke again!) it was a quick experiment and I'm not too happy with the aesthetics of it but I do like the idea behind it.



No comments:

Post a Comment